Job Title:Operations Manager, Clinics and LabsFaculty/Department:Faculty of Applied Health & Community StudiesLocation:Brampton, Ontario, CanadaApplication Deadline:June 20, 2021Job Number:J0121-1576
Reporting to the Associate Dean, the Operations Manager, Clinics and Labs directly oversees and leads the daily operations of an assigned portfolio of clinics and labs in the Faculty of Applied Health and Community Studies (i.e. Athletic Therapy Clinic, Exercise Intervention Research Centre, Exercise Physiology Lab, Group Fitness Lab, Anatomy Lab, Glass Lab, and Animal Care Clinic). The Operations Manager leads daily operational planning of infrastructure and resources (facilities, equipment and employees), which includes managing a team of technologists/ specialists and support staff (e.g. full-time, part-time support staff, work-study students) and implementing/maintaining systems for ensuring: regulatory compliance (e.g. Health and Safety, Biological Safety); maintenance and instrumentation of equipment; and scheduling and use of space to meet various needs. The Operations Manager supports program and curricular activities of the clinics and labs through recommending, implementing, and coordinating continuous quality and cost improvements; developing/implementing policies, procedures, and practices; and promoting programs and services within Sheridan and the surrounding communities.
What You’ll be Doing
- Planning and implementing short and long-term goals and strategies for the operation of clinics and labs;
- Initiating practices for cost improvement and developing programs to support revenue generation;
- Compiling and reporting metrics, such as trends, volume of work, operational efficiency, process improvement, etc.;
- Completing planning and scheduling for the use of clinics and labs, including coordinating with various stakeholders;
- Implementing H&S policies/procedures that could have significant impact on program/course delivery;
- Developing systems for maintaining compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and standards (e.g. health and safety, bio-safety, quality, environmental and housekeeping)
- Maintaining and upgrading existing policies and procedures (e.g. Clinic and Lab Manual) along with the Associate Dean;
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Providing leadership and empowering a diverse and capable team in a unionized setting;
- Optimizing staff and department performance and building professional capacity through effective mentoring/coaching, goal setting and performance management and evaluation;
- Providing leadership in creating and sustaining an organizational culture that enhances learning and growth;
- Assisting the Associate Dean in the review of related operating and capital budgets to ensure the proposals are consistent with the strategic plan and that allocation of resources is based on established priorities;
- Creating procedural documentation for lab equipment use and maintenance;
- Onboarding staff and providing training resources for lab space use;
- Leading audit tours and responding to audit comments (e.g. Occupational Health & Safety, Fire, Finance);
- Performing other related duties, as assigned.
You are an analytical thinker and have a knack for data-driven approaches in solving problems and making sound decisions.
Your sharp problem-solving skills and the ability to invite new ways of thinking allow you to be creative in dealing with operational challenges and advancing strategic priorities.
You are a natural leader and have a highly collaborative spirit which, combined with your exceptional interpersonal skills, empowers you to create and maintain a positive organizational culture and ensure your team’s alignment with the organizational goals.
You have excellent verbal communication skills and can clearly and concisely communicate instructions and mediate with others.
You enjoy multi-tasking, prioritizing, balancing, and managing multiple complex and competing demands while staying organized to meet a demanding workload in a fast-paced environment effectively.
You have advanced technical writing skills for preparing manuals, standard operating procedures, and policies.
The successful candidate will also meet the following qualifications:
- Master of Science in Kinesiology/Human Kinetics/Rehabilitation, or a related field (PhD preferred)
- Registered Kinesiologist (preferred)
- 5 years of experience overseeing delivery of health, performance, research, or rehabilitation services to a diverse population (equivalency will be considered)
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety principles/legislation and experience administering Occupational Health and Safety policies and protocols within a lab or clinic environment
Who We Are:
Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community.
For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Campus Location: Davis (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus) once normal campus operations resume. This position is currently working remotely.
Reference #: 21/A/04
Employee Group: Administrative
Hiring Range: $96,615 – $102,654
Application Deadline: June 20, 2021
Application Details: Reposted with slight change to qualifications
Sheridan is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from marginalized and equity-seeking groups. Persons with a disability may contact the Human Resources department to request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.