|POSITION:||Strength and Conditioning Coach – |
Apprenticeship (18-month contract)
|Lead, Strength & Conditioning|
|LOCATION:||Canadian Sport Institute Ontario |
(Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre)
875 Morningside Avenue, Suite 100, Toronto
|SALARY:||$40,000 per annum|
|Posting Date:||August 27, 2020|
|September 10, 2020 (4:00 p.m. EST)|
|Interview Date:||Week of September 21st (Date TBC)|
Position Summary The purpose of this role is to provide support to targeted National and Provincial Sport Organizations in the area of Strength & Conditioning to facilitate overall performance enhancement. The primary role of the Strength and Conditioning Coach Apprenticeship is to support identified sports and athletes, while helping to continuously expand and further develop this service area at the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO). Duties include working closely with coaching staff to focus on all areas of strength & conditioning including flexibility, strength, endurance, hypertrophy, power, and speed. The Strength and Conditioning Coach Apprentice supports athletes and coaches by providing tools and metrics to monitor and assess progress and collaborates with the Integrated Support Team (IST), in order to achieve a holistic approach to athlete development. This position is designed for an individual with minimal experience in a high-performance training environment and will receive tangible skill development through mentorship from experienced strength and conditioning coaches (Practitioner, Senior, and Leader).
- In collaboration with the coaching staff, develop and deliver strength & conditioning support in the daily training environment
- In collaboration with coaches develop individualized training plans, focusing on targeted objectives for each athlete
- Leveraging a strong understanding of physiology, psychology, nutrition, and biomechanics to determine how to best improve athlete’s performance
- Coach athletes in one on one or small group scenarios to teach proper lifting technique, to ensure maximum adaptations and a safe environment
- Able to attend and provide comprehensive strength & conditioning support at identified competitions and training camps
- Implement a thorough monitoring, tracking and testing process to ensure that athletes are making the desired progress
- Evaluate current research to broaden knowledge of the sport as well as general knowledge of trends and findings in the discipline
- Conduct and collaborate in research and innovation projects
- Foster effective working relationship with sport coaches in order to understand coaching philosophy and sport program goals
- Provide comprehensive feedback (presentations, publications, reports) of results and interpretation to athletes and coaches
- Supervise open training hours at least twice per week at CSIO headquarters located within the Toronto Pan Am Aquatic Center (TPASC)
- Support decentralized athletes with programming and consultations
Integrated Support Team
- Communicate effectively on a regular basis with other IST members to provide a holistic approach to athlete performance
- Work using a collaborative approach to tackle sport specific challenges and questions
- Attend and contribute to sport specific IST meetings
- Consult and refer specific athlete issues to relevant practitioners within the IST
- Maintain an accurate record of work conducted
- Be an active member of company by participating in staff meetings, other meetings and seminars as required
- Adhere to any professional codes of conduct appropriate to the profession or other codes of conduct that might be deemed applicable to sports science and sports medicine practitioners in general
- Maintain a proactive approach to personal Professional development
- Present workshops, lectures and seminars as required by the Lead, Strength & Conditioning
- Undertake any other reasonable duties for Lead, Strength & Conditioning and other colleagues as requested
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a performance sport environment (including National and International Competitions).
- National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA), Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) certification is a requirement
- Strong coaching and presentation skills
- Experience in developing and implementing innovative ideas and putting them into practice, including working in an applied and integrated manner
- Knowledge of the Canadian Sport System an asset
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills. Bilingualism is an asset
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of independence and initiative
- Good team building skills and the ability to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities. Frequent travel may be required
- Upon employment a Vulnerable Sector Screening to be completed
- Eligible to work in Canada.
COMPANY WIDE BEHAVIOURS
Mission The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario is committed to the pursuit of excellence by providing world-class programs, staff, services, and leadership to high performance athletes and coaches to enhance their ability to achieve international podium performances.
Vision The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario is a recognized world leader in the delivery of applied sport science, sport medicine, athlete/coach and staff development, resulting in more Canadian athletes on the international podium.
Values – Commitment, Synergy, Integrity, Openness (CSIO)
Commitment We take care of each other. We serve the organization to the best of our abilities. We provide the highest quality of service to our clients.
Synergy We respect and recognize the contributions and diversity of our team. We interact in ways that bring out the best in each other. We build productive relationships to achieve success.
Integrity We are consistent and ethical in our actions. We present unvarnished truth in an appropriate transparent manner. We provide and demonstrate a safe and inclusive environment.
Openness We are authentic in the way we interact with each other. We embrace a solution-oriented approach. We welcome timely feedback on how to improve.
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter (in one PDF document) to: Search Committee, Canadian Sport Institute Ontario
Canadian Sport Institute Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.