Date Posted: 06/08/2022
Req ID: 24906
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Kinesiology & Physl Ed.
Department: Faculty of Kinesiology & Physl Ed
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The University of Toronto’s Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education is globally recognized for developing and advancing knowledge about the interactions of physical activity and health through outstanding undergraduate and graduate education programs, cutting-edge research and the delivery of sport, recreation and high performance athletic opportunities for students, staff, faculty and community members across the three campuses. In achieving this vision, the Faculty is guided by values of integrity, respect, equity and diversity https://kpe.utoronto.ca/.
The Fitness and Performance program at the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education (FKPE) offers participants a comprehensive, integrated Fitness and Performance experience with clear learning outcomes, positioning the University of Toronto Sport and Rec as a leader in wellness, physical activity and high performance programming. The Fitness and Performance program will offer sport, physical activity and recreation opportunities, which seamlessly integrate FKPE research, practice and experiential learning to meet the needs of a broad range of participants. Fitness and Performance services will create a holistic experience for participants through all the phases of their physical activity journey, assuming high quality standards and an understanding that will satisfy customer needs.
The Program will provide staff with the training and tools to deliver an outstanding curriculum in fitness and performance with an emphasis on learning outcomes that will enhance physical and mental wellness contribute to academic success and create a foundation for healthy active living while at the university and post-graduation.
Reporting to the Manager, Fitness and Performance, the incumbent is responsible for developing and implementing the University’s Fitness and Performance (F&P) staff development and training program. This training program will coach staff to deliver Fitness and Performance programs that are in line with established standards and based on clearly defined learning outcomes for participants that integrate research, practice and experiential learning.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Coaching within the sport and recreation program and instructing other coaches, students, high performance athletes and members in all areas of the F&P program including; Intercollegiate team Fitness and Performance (F&P) training, drop-in and registered individual and group recreational F&P training.
- Assist the Manager, Fitness and Performance in collaborating with subject matter experts to develop and embed nutrition and mental performance programming within the Fitness and Performance programs and intergrated laterally across Sport & Rec.
- Collaborating with the Unit’s team members to design and implement a comprehensive sport fitness and performance plan and evaluation framework, focusing on promoting and delivering meaningful and sustainable participation opportunities.
- Assisting in integrating and embedding sport and exercise science, wellness, research and program development, planning and delivery across the Performance and Fitness portfolio.
- Leading a student centered and customer-experience oriented operation in an effort to understand and satisfy user needs, provide frontline information and promote programs to increase meaningful participation.
- Managing, training and developing a large staff of coaches (group and individual).
- Providing information and recommendations for short and long-term budget plans, and ensuring budget revenue targets are met through revenue generation activities.
- Developing and delivering Strength and Conditioning workshops, participant orientations, personal training, external sport client/team training and non-athlete student and community programming.
- University degree preferably in kinesiology/physical education or combination of equivalent experience
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA) or equivalent is required.
- Minimum of five years fitness and performance coaching experience with USport level teams or a comparable level in a recreation setting.
- Minimum three years’ experience managing a large fitness and performance team, preferably in a unionized environment
- Three years’ experience designing and implementing staff development and training programs relating to sport fitness and performance including establishing and providing clear learning outcomes.
- Experience integrating and embedding sport and exercise science, wellness, research and program development, planning and delivery with particular focus on mental performance and/or nutrition across a broad fitness and performance portfolio.
- Two years experience with budget administration
- Must demonstrate exemplary leadership as an ambassador and advocate for physical activity and recreation
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills that support consensus building and shared decision-making.
- Proven problem solving, analysis and negotiation skills
- Proven skills in training and mentoring large staff contingents.
- Leadership abilities in the creation of a welcoming and engaging environment that is supported through exemplary customer experience building.
- Ability to act on issues/problems/initiatives involving equity and diversity.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality when managing sensitive information.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Able to manage conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Able to maintian a professional decorum and display sound judgement and tact under pressure
- Able to work with a high degree of independence and initiative
- Able to frequently adjust priorities and have great attention to detail
Closing Date: 06/27/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Schedule: Full-Time – Early morning, evening and weekend work required
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 2 — Hiring Zone: $73,098 – $85,279 — Broadband Salary Range: $73,098 – $121,828
Job Category: Athletics
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for institutional planning purposes. For more information, please see http://uoft.me/UP.
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.
The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities.
If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.